Write down your goals and achieve them! -30 Days Change Your Habits, Change Your Life
“People with clear, written goals accomplish far more in a shorter period of time than people without them can ever imagine.”
“A goal is a dream with a deadline.”
The huge majority of us don’t have even the slightest idea of where to start to make our dreams come true. Most people overestimate what they can do in a month and under-estimate what they can do in a year. If you go one step at a time and remain flexible, then over time you can achieve things that you couldn’t even imagine before. And the funny thing is: It’s not even about reaching the end goals; it’s about the person you become in the process. The journey is more important than the destination – and also in goal setting! So why write down your goals? Because they will drive you to take action! Having clearly defined goals in your life is crucial to your way towards success and happiness. They are like a GPS system leading the way. But to be led, first of all you have to know where you want to go! This is so important that entire books are written on the subject of goal setting! I will make it as short as possible.
Write down your goals and achieve them!
The first step to achieving your dream goals is to put them in writing. I was very skeptical about this until I started writing down my goals and then I wish I had started two decades ago. I became so much more productive and focused that I could hardly believe it. As I said before, for many years I didn’t care about goal setting. To be honest, I think it made me feel uncomfortable because committing to goals and writing them down suddenly meant that I could measure what I had achieved and what I did not achieve, and I didn’t have the courage to do that.
It’s important to write down your goals for various reasons:
- When you write them down, you declare to your mind, that out of the 50000 to 60000 thoughts you have a day, THIS ONE written down is the most important.
- You start concentrating and focusing on the activities that bring you closer to your goal. You also start taking better decisions, while you are focused on where you want to go, always keeping in mind whether what you are doing in this moment is really the best use of your time.
- Having a look at your written goals everyday forces you to act and helps you to prioritize your actions for the day by asking yourself questions such as “In this moment, is doing what I’m doing bringing me closer to my goals?”
Having a look at your written goals everyday forces you to act and helps you to prioritize your actions for the day by asking yourself questions such as “In this moment, is doing what I’m doing bringing me closer to my goals?”
In the following exercise I want you to write down what you want your life to look like in 10 years. When you write it down, I want you to write down what you want, not what you think is possible. So GO BIG! There are no limits to your imagination. The answers you write here are the direction in which your life is headed. Create a clear vision of your goals in your mind. See yourself as already having achieved the goal: How does it feel? How does it look? How does it sound? How does it smell?
The goals have to be yours, specific, stated positively, and you have to commit to them.
Another important point: When pursuing your goals, reward yourself for the effort put in, and not just for the results. Self-punishment is not allowed! Keep in mind that you are much further than you were a week or a month ago.
Other useful tips that enhance your goal setting journey:
- Put a little card with your goals written on it in your wallet and reconnect 4-5 times daily.
- It’s very beneficial to have a to-do list. Put your action steps on it, as well as the time it takes to do the task as and put the deadlines for each task.
- Balance your goals (physical, economic, social, professional, family, spiritual).
- What do you want your life to look like in 10 years? There are no limits! Go big!
- What do you have to have achieved in 5 years to get closer to your goal in 10 years?
- What do you have to have achieved in 1 year to get closer to your goal in 5 years?
- What do you have to have achieved in 3 months to get closer to your 1- year-goal?
- What are the things that can you do NOW to reach your 3 month goal?
Write down at least three things and TAKE ACTION!